5 Questions with Phillip Dutton
May 12, 2016
- Why did you choose your discipline and what do you love most about it?
Eventing was a natural choice for me. I grew up on a sheep and cattle farm where horses were used on a regular basis to help with farm work. I liked the idea of being able to train and condition at home which was suitable for my lifestyle .I was also in a very strong local pony club that I enjoyed. Today I really enjoy the whole process- training and gaining the horses trust- plus the competing. I really believe the four star horse is a really great athlete.
- What are some of your favorite exercises you do at home to get ready for a horse show?
I compete nearly every week so at home I'm always training and preparing for the next weekend!
- What activities do you do outside of riding to stay fit?
I'm not a big fan of working out. I would much rather play a sport like tennis or go on a bike ride to exercise.
- What is your advice for a rider just starting out in the sport?
Associate yourself with a good role model and be prepared to understand and learn the basics correctly. Any shortcuts in your skills will show up later.
- Best advice you’ve ever received-
Be nice to everyone on your way up in the sport because you will see them on your way down